Now that the August 15 enrollment deadline due to the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) emergency has passed, you can get or change 2021 Marketplace coverage only if you have a life event that qualifies you for a Special Enrollment Period.
What life events qualify you for a Special Enrollment Period?
- A change in your situation, like getting married, moving, having a baby, or losing health coverage, can make you eligible for a Special Enrollment Period. See the full list of life events.
- Not sure your life event counts? Answer a few quick questions to find out.
- Depending on your Special Enrollment Period type, you usually have 60 days before or 60 days after the event to enroll in or change a plan.
- If your life event makes you eligible for Medicaid or the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP), you can enroll in these programs immediately.
How to apply with a Special Enrollment Period
- If you qualify for a Special Enrollment Period, create an account or log into an existing one to enroll in or change a plan for 2021.
- You may be asked to submit documents to confirm the life event that makes you eligible.
If you’re not eligible to apply with a Special Enrollment Period for the rest of 2021, you can apply for a 2022 health plan November 1 through December 15, 2021.